Sunday, May 20, 2007

Walk all over me, why don'tcha?

I made a rug last month.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pattern: My own, using my handy-dandy Harmony Stitch Guides.
Yarn: Some old Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn that was given to me by my mom.
Comments: I... well, it's a rug, right? Utilitarian and all that. I'm not all that woohoo about it, because I really don't like the colors, but I had the yarn and I was sick of having it in my stash, so I made it to use up the yarn. I was willing to overlook the blah factor of the colors, because it is utilitarian, but you know what? It's not even functioning well as a rug. Yeah, the yarn is a bulky acrylic spun up to be a real workhorse yarn. But, one thing about acrylic is that it's got very little heft to it. And so this rug is constantly getting kicked about and folded over on itself and I'm always having to set it right again. I don't want to use it on the linoleum areas in the house, because it would be too slippery AND folding all over itself and being generally a nuisance. If I had pets, I'd consider using it as a mat under their food dishes, but really, this rug has turned out to be fairly useless. I think it's going to Goodwill. Not only that, but I have a knitted rug on the needles right now with the same yarn that I think is going to Goodwill with it. Maybe someone else will come up with a better use for the yarn.

It's a shame, because I like the look of the stitch pattern as a rug, but I think it would have turned out better in a bulky, rough, wool yarn, possibly felted slightly in some colors that suit my house a bit more. Eh. Live and learn. Perhaps when all the dust of the rennovation has settled and we have the new flooring in, I'll give it a try again in some Peace Fleece.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your crochet work is great. I like the color combination in this one especially, nice work! I too post about my craft work here, http://www.funkychica.com . Come visit when you get a chance.

Lex said...

Have you tried using one of those non-slip things you can put under rugs? I have some little rugs like that (though I haven't made any--yet!), and without the non-slip thingies, they'd be all over the place.