Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Yarny goodness from TNNA

Michelle wanted to see pictures of what I picked up at TNNA. I will take those today and hopefully have them up by tomorrow. I wasn't allowed to take photos at the event, because there was quite a bit of stuff that hadn't been "released" yet. And some of that stuff I have samples to play with, but some of it they weren't even giving away yet. So, I'll tell you about those first and you can start seeing pictures tomorrow.

First of all, SWTC has some gorgeous yarns coming out. One is called Yin/Yang. The Yin yarn is a standard yarn in some lovely colors. (I didn't get a handout on the yarns so I can't tell you what the content was. Darn!) It looked like a merino, but since it's coming from SWTC, I'm guessing there is some soy or corn mixed in. Anyway, as I said, lovely colors, very soft, nice handle and drape. Beautiful. The Yang version is the same as the Yin, but it has sequins. And I know what you're thinking--AHH! NOVELTY YARN! But no! The sequins were small enough and placed well so that it wasn't sequin over-load. The plan with the yin/yang combination is that they can be used together so you can make a sweater in mostly Yin, and then use the Yang as accents and not have to deal with attaching sequins yourself. I would give you a link, but this yarn is so new it's not even on the website yet.

Along the same lines, The Alpaca Yarn Company had this beautiful yarn called Glimmer. I'm trying to remember now if it was a lace or a dk weight, but the thing about it was that it has a strand of holographic fiber spun with it. And some yarn companies who shall remain nameless *coughcoughLionWoolEasecoughcough* have used this poorly in the past. The holographic strand is too thick and ends up being glaringly obvious to the eye and pokey against the skin. Glimmer's holographic thread is so thin that the samples they had knit up for display looked like they'd been danced upon by Tinkerbell. They had a very understated sparkle to them that looked like pixie dust. I was completely smitten with that yarn. It's perfect for evening wear items or a formal piece or a out-on-the-town item for people who still want to shine, but don't want to look like they coated themselves in Elmer's glue and rolled around in the glitter. And the best thing was that because the thread was so fine, it didn't interfere with the softness of the alpaca.

1 comment:

Wannabe said...

No sequin knitting for me unless I decide to make a belly dancing outfit for Adam. ;)