Friday, July 27, 2007

The return of the absent blogger

I have been awol for the most part the last month. First, I was working myself to tendonitis trying to get the projects for the book done. Which I did, thank you!

Then, we loaded the girls in the car and took them to Disneyland for 4 days. Which was awesome. Disneyland with small children is quite an experience. And the girls are completely obsessive about Princesses now. Send help.

Then, the day after we got back, my husband was on his way to scout camp and his truck was t-boned by a girl who was apparently trying to gun it to make it into the street between my husband and the guy behind him, but she misjudged and clipped the back of his truck, which sent it not only spinning, but then flipping, pinning my husband half out his window with the roof of the truck resting on his chest. (Yes, he had his seatbelt on. They aren't so great in roll overs, though, apparently.)

Yeah. That wasn't so cool.

He was air evaced to Scottsdale, where he spent a night in the ICU and another night in the normal ward. He has 6 broken ribs, a fractured skull, and a broken scapula. But, as someone put it, he was one more quarter-turn away from being dead, so we're thankful it wasn't a whole lot worse. Since then, I've been dealing with doctors and insurance companies and visitors, and as of yesterday a lawyer, on top of helping him get better, which, thankfully, he is doing pretty well. The ribs still give him a lot of greif, but as long as he doesn't run out of his pain meds, it's not crippling pain, and he's able to shower and get dressed and putter about on his own now. Considering the alternative, we're well pleased.

So, yeah. Then I figured, well, while he was gone to camp I was going to paint Kai's room, so since he's puttering around ok, I'll go ahead and do that. And I spent the next 48 hours days painting and reorganizing her room. And it looks great, but I probably should have put it off, because it was the last straw, I think, and all the insanity of the last 3 weeks is starting to hit me in a big way. Really, I'd be happy spending the next 2 days in bed. Not really an option. Instead, today I'm going to start tackling the office/craft room because I KNOW there are things burried in here that need to go back to the library and I have to get this room sorted before we start school again for the year, and now that Adam is out of commission for another 4-6 weeks, there is no way the addition is going to be ready, so we're going to have to make due with the space we have. Which means I'll have to go to the storage unit and go through things and only bring back what we will actually use for the first few months of school. Which means sorting through boxes when it's 106 degrees out.

Can you tell I'm stressed? A little? A smidge? At least it's transformed to a sort of constant, low-grade stress instead of the total freak-out stress of last week. Babysteps.

I think I'm going to end this here and start another post that isn't so depressing...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,

I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your DH! I hope he heals soon and that your family finds itself less stressed asap. This is terrible!

Oh and thanks again for the lovely linen yarn you sent me:) I used up every last bit for a worthy cause:) Clothes for some little teddy bears going to a grieving children program.