Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The big finish!

I haven't had any FOs to share lately because they were all sitting and waiting to be lined at the end of the knitathon, or it was the massive and never ending project known as Kai's Blankie.

First, the FOs:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 iPod sized and 1 Nano sized pouch. Since I started these... uh... last year... we have gotten rubbery iPod covers, so I think these will become notions pouches.

Abby got to pick one of them, because I feel badly that her blankie isn't going to be done for ages and she wants something I made soooooo much
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

These were inspired by a pattern in the Cool Girl's Guide to Knitting, though I didn't actually use the pattern when I sat down to make them. The nano cozy has a garter border on the edges and for the flap, I just changed from stockinette to seed stitch. They were all knit on tiny needles, though it's been so long I forget the sizes. The larger pouches were made with Sockatta, the green pouch is a cotton yarn from a recycled Gap sweater. They were lined with muslin and have snap closures with a button from the button box on the outside.

The other big FO is the 8-cabeled bag:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My first cabling project. I started this at about this time last year in a class at the LYS. The yarn is hand-dyed 100% wool, dyed by the LYS owner. The pattern she wrote up was horrible--missing steps, wrong row counts, no gauge (which meant having to buy another hank at the last minute, which didn't work for me as she was out of my colors and I ended up frogging one side and reknitting it with the shade closest to what I already had.) I did learn how to cable while in the class, though, so that's all I was after. I just figured out her pattern as best I could and got it to work. I got the lining material a month after I finished knitting it. And then it sat in pieces until the knitathon, when I dug it out and assembled it and lined it. And was reminded once more that the finishing work really isn't as painful as I tell myself.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And, remember, not only did I learn to cable on this project, but I also did my first invisible seam:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yay!

There is no clasp or snap in this bag yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to put one in. I'm going to live with it for a bit and see how it works and if I don't like it without one, I'll add it later.

Of my remaining UFOs, the one that got the most attention in the last 26 days was Kai's Blankie of DOOOOOM.

Before:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

As you can see, I'm another full color repeat and maybe 1/3rd more into it. It's lying on the treadmill if that helps you figure out scale. I thought I only had one more cake of yarn left, but in addition to what is there there is one more cake twice the size. Which is good, because this sucker is way wider than I meant for it to be. If needs be, the stripes will just be vertical instead of horozontal, but I'd like for it to at least be square.

So, that's my big finish to the knitathon. I'm going to be a good girl and continue to plug along on Kai's blankie during any knitting time I may have today, but then tomorrow I'm casting it aside for some other projects! Variety is the spice of life and I have ONLY 7 projects on the needles now. What kind of variety is THAT?

3 comments:

Wannabe said...

Holy cow! You are a machine. I love how the cable bag turned out! What yarn did you use?

Spiff said...

It was the SOPT hand-dyed and it was the last in those colors. I really, really liked them and asked her to do up some more for me but she said no and that was before I pissed her off.

Michellefinaz said...

I love all of the amazing stuff that you finished. That cabled bag is amazing and you did a great job of finishing it without a great pattern. Don't worry, Kai will have her blankie someday.