Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Another UFO sighting

Before I begin, I've been pimping my swap pretty heavily around the ole intarwebs, so if you're here for that, scroll on down and you'll find it.

For those of you who are here for my crafty ramblings, let me begin:

First of all, until I picked up the needles last night, I hadn't knit for 2 days, so I don't have tons to report. I did manage to finish the other side of the cabled bag tonight. But, since I can't show it, instead, I'll share another UFO shot.

This is Abby's blankie:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I ordered the yarn from Webs a few months before Christmas. I was actually ordering yarn for the sweaters I was making the girls for Christmas, but when you order from Webs, you HAVE to check out their close-out and Grandpa's Garage Sale sections. I mean, hello bargains. So, the first time I placed the order, these cones were $3 each. $3!! So I added one on to my order. Now, I THOUGHT I was getting a worsted weight, thick/thin cotton like one I'd ordered from them before and subsequently used to make a blankie for Kai. But when it arrived, it was more like a thick/thin laceweight. So, when I came up short on yarn for the girls' sweaters, I ordered a second cone ($3!!) and am using it doubled to make the blankie for Abby. I picked a denser stitch pattern than the one I used on Kai's, and between the thinness of the yarn and the stitch pattern, it's very slow going. The photo above is at least a solid week of work, which, if it was knit would be impressive. But crocheted? Draaaaaaging. I'm used to my crochet projects being much zippier than this one has been. I had some pipe-dream going that I'd have this thing done in time for Christmas, but you can see that didn't happen. The new goal is for their birthday party in October. I have a feeling that it will be my project for the next knitathon.

1 comment:

Wannabe said...

HOLY CRAP. Only you would make a double stranded laceweight blankie. Shoot me now. It is BEAUTIFUL though!