Monday, March 19, 2007

Knitathon FO #2

Ok, I just finished it up, so I'm posting it:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The stats:

2.25 skeins of Patons Grace in color 60603 (apricot). Three-quarter sleeve garter-stitch cardigan, size 6-9 mo. Pattern from Simple Knits for Cherished Babies by Erika Knight. Probably fairly obvious, but I haven't blocked it yet.

I can't say that I'm in love with it. I'm probably going to donate it somewhere, but
I have to find an organization that will take cotton. All the ones I currently work with only take animal fiber. Issues I had:

As stated before, the knits are simple, but the patterns aren't specific enough for beginners. They don't specify cast on, increase, or decrease methods. (I used a long tail cast on for the back, cable cast on for the sleeves, a m1 for the increases, and k2tog bind off for the sleeves and front.) Also, the pattern relies on measurements to guide you through the pattern, lulling you into the false sense of security that your vertical guage isn't so very important. But then when it's time to pick up stitches for edgings, the directions switch to specific stitch counts. So, if your vertical guage doesn't match hers, then your pick-ups along the garter stitch sides will look odd. It also will make a difference in where the button holes fall. I think it would have been better to just switch to picking up one between each ridge and then worked out the buttons spacing myself from there, but I didn't realize how much of an issue it was going to be until after I'd bound off, and I was already not in love with the sweater and didn't want to revisit it.

The buttons are from the button box, 3 floral shell and 2 round shell. This project fullfilled it's purpose--I was just looking for something I could work on in the near-dark. And it was a learning experience, because now I know how to approach the other patterns in the book that I do want to make for others. So, even though I'm not squeeing at the finished project, I don't think it was a waste of time or energy. And, of course, I'm very glad to move this one from my UFO column to the FO side.

2 comments:

Wannabe said...

Yes. I'd like to order a side of "as much knitting time as Anne". And that will be it.

Spiff said...

Well, it helps that it was a baby sweater. And that I have 2 kids so they can play with each other, but we won't go there.