Wednesday, March 21, 2007

One step closer...

Most of my knitting time yesterday was spent assembling the cable bag. I worked my first successful invisible seams, too. w00t! I couldn't wrap my brain around those hand-drawn directions you see in all the knitting books until 3 days ago when I happened to be flipping through a book to find information on something totally different and I looked and, voila, it clicked. I don't know why, but that's pretty much how it goes with me and the black-and-white how-to diagrams. My brain doesn't process them right until a) someone has shown me how to do them in person or b) I've seen them umpteen times. Anyway, I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and I'll get a photo as soon as the batteries are done charging for the camera.

So, yeah, the cable bag is all assembled now and in the 'to line' pile with all the iPod cozies. I still have 2 bags on my UFO list to get done before I have my Days of Lining Torture.

When I finished assembly last night, I worked more on the mohair cravat. Today, we took the kids to the zoo and I worked some more on Kai's pink and purple blankie while Adam drove. Oooh, I'll show you the pre-knitathon photo of that!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is a never-ending project. The yarn is available at JoAnns and was sent to me in a care package from my Mom. See that cake of yarn there above the project? All that yarn worked up, plus that cake, is only half of the skein of yarn. It is one massive skein. It's a 100% nylon (I think?) boucle. And, to be honest, I almost donated it on to someone else. I was not in love with the yarn, and in the shipping, a bunch of the outer layers got all yarn-barfy. But Kai LOVES purple and pink, so I thought I'd work it up into a simple, garter-stitch lapghan for her. I cast on ages ago. I'm working it on size 7s and for a while it was my go-to project for mindless knitting. But I got so, so sick of it.

It's. Just. Knit.

And it takes forever to see any progress on it. So, it just sat around for a long while. I pulled it out 2 days ago to work on while homeschooling, because our math lesson consisted of me making a design on the geoboard and then Kai spent 5 or so minutes trying to copy it. I have a tendancy toward impatience and wanting to do things for her, so I worked on it while she took her turn so I'd have something to do in lieu of being a control freak.

Just so you understand the scope of this sucker, it's a 30 minute drive to the zoo and I got 2 rows knit on the way there and 2 rows knit on the way back. Uuuuuuugh... Thank goodness for this UFO knitathon or I think it would have just languished for ages and eventually been chucked.

2 comments:

Wannabe said...

Patience is a vitrue...muahahahhahahahahahahaha....

Wannabe said...

I can't spell.

VIRTUE.